Sunday, December 28, 2014

Book Review: Julie's Butterfly











Julie's Butterfly was definitely a different read for me in that it was written specifically to give perspective on a very rare medical condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa. This condition has varying extremes of presentation and is characterized by bruising and blisters due to the skin not having the appropriate connective tissues. The author, Greta Milán, is married to a "Butterfly Child" which is the name given to sufferers of this disease due to their fragile nature. 

In this book the author gives us a rare look into life with people living with this condition. She also illustrates that they are capable of loving and being loved. One of the best aspects that is addressed in this book is the topic of bullying at the childhood level and its effects on individuals well into adult hood. The main character Bastion deals with some very deep ingrained bias and phobias due to abuse he suffered during his childhood. This leads him to isolation and leaving behind his family who cared for him in exchange for a life of solitude.  A very lonely life indeed.

I would definitely recommend the reading of this book, but not for the obvious reason of the romance story but for the struggle and psychological effects of the characters involved. I definitely shed tears throughout this book. There were a number of highly emotional moments that kept me reading and hoping.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, and I hope that you take the time to read it and leave me your opinion in the comment section down below. If you have already read this book, feel free to leave me some feedback. I love to discuss books that moved me in some way.



No comments:

Post a Comment