Sunday, December 7, 2014

Book Review: Sleepers By Megg Jensen



The description of this book really caught my attention and I decided to give it a try.

"An adoptee raised in a foreign land, sixteen-year-old Lianne was content with her life as handmaiden to the queen, until a spell cast on her at birth activated. Now she's filled with uncontrollable rage and access to magic she thought had been bled from her people years ago. Even her years of secret training in elite hand-to-hand combat and meditation can’t calm the fires raging inside her. 

Her heart is torn between two boys, the one she’s always loved and the one who always ignored her. But when the kingdom threatens to tear itself apart due to rumors surrounding the queen’s alleged affair, who will Lianne protect and who will she destroy?" 

So first I didn't realize just how short this book was because I received it as an ebook. But this is a very short book and I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for something to sit and read during a 24 hour period. Its also the first book in a series and the second and third books in the trilogy are available so if you like to marathon a series this would make a great series to marathon.

I can say that was honestly surprised by this book. The main character Lianne is a adopted child sent from a kingdom that was conquered by the kingdom she currently lives in. Her people have magic but this magic supposedly has disappeared leaving them defenseless and at the mercy of the Faithians. Lianne spends most of the book debating on the choices she should make. She is definitely torn between two boys and these boys are the other two adoptees from here country. Each boy has an idea of how Lianne should help them, their country and countrymen, and the friends they have developed during there time there. 

Ultimately Lianne has to learn to make her own decisions and to trust her gut. I definitely would like to continue this series because the twist at the end of this book left me speechless and kinda mad because the entire book steered your feelings towards things in one direction and them BAM! plot twist. 
I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars, it was an excellent read and I loved that the book stood alone in the trilogy and left me with a sense of closure about the events of this story. I hate waiting to see what happens to culminate a story line and I can say that Megg Jensen managed that closure while still keeping me wanting more. The only reason I deducted the star was I thought the book was a tad short and because of this the first few chapters of the book felt rushed. A little more character development would have gone a long way in this first book. Otherwise a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment